Sunday, August 17, 2008

Berlin's MYKITA: Made for Shade & the Pix to Prove It!


The easiest way to find out if you look good in a pair of sunglasses? Try them on of course. And that's just what we got to do at the MYKITA event during Berlin Fashion Week. MYKITA's the creation of the Berlin-based design team of Philipp Haffmans and Harald Gottschling; each pair is handmade and the line boasts the street cred of having recently won a top European design award. Besides the Champagne, the biggest draw at the ultra-minimalist boutique (all white walls adorned only with sunglasses racks, extra stock held in tricked out metal airplane galley storage containers) was the chance to check out the glasses. Not only did MYKITA execs help you choose the primo frame for your face, but they took a Polaroid of you in them, too -- two of 'em, in fact: one for you to take home and another for the company's "frame of fame," which they emailed to all of us the other day. Check it out: GET FLASHED WITH MYKITA PHOTO GALLERY. You can see how good the shades look on all types of wearers, cool cats and an actual K-9! But the photo gallery's also a neat picture essay in Berlin street style. Think you can find me in the line-up? Let me know and I'll send you some Fashion Week goodies. I have to say, I rocked my MYKITAs. They were red powdercoated metal in an oversized aviator style and they were fabulous. Even better, these shades were indestructable. So well designed are these MYKITAs that you can bend the arms every which way and even smoosh the glasses entirely (no more sunglasses-in-the-driver's-seat-surprise!) and they won't break. Alas, what MYKITA can't design against is my forgetful nature. Over the years, I have found that the price of my sunglasses is inversely proportionate to the speed at which I lose them. Which is why I still have a crooked pair of black Ann Taylor shades, circa 1996, and the amount of time I got to enjoy my rimless, rose-tinted Chanel wrap-arounds could be measured in hours. So, no MYKITAs for me. But for anyone looking for an ubercool pair of $400 sunglasses made to the highest production and optical standards, check 'em out.

No comments: