Friday, March 21, 2008

OF MODELS AND MONEY

Eye4Style was kind enough to comment recently on my Project Runway record-straightening post. She (he?) said that many models aren't getting paid for their runway work; instead they're getting to keep the clothes. Eye4style: You're exactly right. And how wild that I was just talking about this the other day with model-slash-businesswoman Uduak Oduok of Ladybrille.com, a blogozine dedicated to bringing the high fashion of the African continent to U.S. Audiences. She was telling me that same thing, about how it's getting harder to make a living in the modeling biz because everyone wants you to work for free. Kinda like journalism! While it's true Swagulous approves of free stuff in general, I have to say this is not a good thing. Last I checked, landlords were not accepting emerging designer garments as rent! Good thing I never had to rely on my, ahem, gazelle-like height and beauty to land a job.

No comments: