Monday, June 18, 2007

Flirty Girl Fitness -- I'm Hooked on the Pole!


Tonight I took a free class at Chicago's newest fitness concept, Flirty Girl Fitness, just down the street from Oprah's studios in the West Loop. O indeed! The class? Pole dancing, in a chic rustic dance space tricked out with 14 poles. The results? My body is aching and my right foot is bruised, yet my ego is strangely unbruised. I survived the hour -- and swung around on a pole! It rocked. Oh yeah I sucked. Badly. Sadly I have no shimmy in me -- I blame my Cohen side -- and I was never a cheerleader, hence I missed out on the part of life where you learn to mimic peppy choreographed routines. Believe it or not, I picked it up, more or less, and didn't completely embarass myself. Not that anyone was looking anyway -- all the other women in the class were concentrating equally hard on hanging on for dear life. And when we weren't concentrating on Le Pole, we were mesmerized by the instructor. I would like to know how many classs I need to sign up for and how many meals I need to vomit up before I can be that amazing. I actually think I might join the studio, but if I don't, I will definitely return on the per-session pass (5 classes for $100). Interesting to note: The poles in the front of the class room are "regulation" width; the poles in the back are specially designed by FGF to be a bit smaller -- easier for tiny hands to grasp. Also interesting to note: The instructor told us to take off our shoes to do the class. Not for safety or technique, but rather because "gym shoes aren't sexy." My thoughts exactly!

No comments: