Monday, June 2, 2008

Yves Saint Laurent (1936-2008)

A moment of silence for one of the greatest designers of modern times. I distinctly remember when I was little, snagging my mom's Town & Country and marveling over photos of his decadent, mosaiced Morocco estate. To an elementary school misfit stuck in a suburban-Phoenix rancher, it was like a window onto possibilities. In middle school, I saved for weeks to buy fantasic golden YSL lipsticks and nail polishes to display on my dresser and use -- albeit sparingly. And as an adult, I would regularly troll eBay, looking for affordable baubles to buy (and finding only disappointment, as YSL vintage is highly sought-after). I even purchased a black silk double-breasted evening jacket this season, hoping to channel the look of a Le Smoking. Austin Scarlett, are you ready to step up?

No comments: