Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Lip Service: Battle of the Balms


Here's a post about a lip treatment that soothes, and one that sucks. First, the good stuff. I got a sample size of Relish Beauty's shea butter lip balm, and I have to say, it was love at first smell -- a light orangy waxy frangrance. It went on smoothly and felt great. Unfortunately it didn't last very long, but it was darn cute and did I mention the nice aroma. It wasn't enough to sway me from my beloved Kristin Balm (which I think actually helped heal the chapped skin between my nose and my upper lip, a souvenir of a recent cold). But, it was a miracle balm in comparison to the glop that gurdles forth from the Kinerase Lip Treatment tube. I got a sample size from a Mercedes Benz sales event swag bag (the company was one of the sponsors of the "lifestyle event" surrounding the cars) and I was optimistic at first. I mean, Kinerase's pitchwoman, Courtney Cox always had nice (albeit small) lips. No thanks to this stuff. The package promises to smooth and plump while reducing the appearance of fine lines. Huh? It tasted like vanilla extract toothpaste and seemed to evaporate off the lips upon impact. Then I read the rest of the label and thought, well, what do I expect from a skincare company from Costa Mesa, California? Of course I could be persuaded otherwise if, say, the full line of products arrived at my door to test drive ... along with the Mercedes of course!

No comments: